nanog mailing list archives

RE: IBM report reviews Internet crime

From: "Frank Bulk" <frnkblk () iname com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:20:15 -0600

Hear-hear: most of our customer's e-mail problems are resolved when we turn
off in the in and outbound scanning offered by their favorite AV vendor. =)
I bet we've had more support calls about e-mail scanning than the number of
viruses that feature has ever trapped for them.

And another anecdote: we experienced a rash of malware-infected subscribers
spewing out spam last weekend.  Most of them had some kind of AV, but of
course that AV didn't prevent them from getting infected.  Many of them
update their definitions and scanned and thought they were clean, but
because the virus/Trojan was so new, they started spewing spam again.  In
this case, their AV software gave them a false sense of assurance.

Frank