nanog mailing list archives

Re: IBM report reviews Internet crime

From: "Andre Gironda" <andre () operations net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:54:01 -0700

On Feb 13, 2008 3:28 PM, JC Dill <lists05 () equinephotoart com> wrote:
JC,

Nice conjecture.

I'm really surprised that ISPs haven't banded together to sue Microsoft
for negligently selling and distributing an insecure OS that is an
Attractive Nuisance - causing the ISPs (who don't own the OS infected
computers) harm from the network traffic the infected OSs send, and
causing them untold support dollars to handle the problem.

I'm really surprised, too.  However, it's more complicated than that.
Read the book, "Geekonomics" for more information on this topic.

If every big ISP joined a class action lawsuit to force Microsoft to pay
up for the time ISPs spend fixing viruses on Windows computer, Microsoft
would get a LOT more proactive about solving this problem directly.  The
consumers have no redress against MS because of the EULA, but this
doesn't extend to other computer owners (e.g. ISPs) who didn't agree to
the EULA on the infected machine but who are impacted by the infection.

Hence the "Trustworthy Computing Initiative" which was started by Bill
Gates / Craig Mundie in 2002 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustworthy_Computing

Only now we're too late - Bill has a parachute.

Cheers,
Andre