nanog mailing list archives

Re: BitTorrent swarms have a deadly bite on broadband nets

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:00:13 -0400

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:33:35 BST, michael.dillon () bt com said:

I really think that a two-tiered QOS system such as the scavenger
suggestion is workable if the applications can do the marking. Has
anyone done any testing to see if DSCP bits are able to travel unscathed
through the public Internet?

Given the bad track record for PMTU 'frag needed' ICMP, ECN, and anybody
in 69/8, 70/8, 71/8, I'll make the prediction that DSCP bits are mangled in
too many ways to make effective use of them, and we can expect a 3-4 year
effort to get stuff cleaned up before it works as intended.