nanog mailing list archives

RE: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

From: <michael.dillon () bt com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:04:36 +0100

So which ISPs have contributed towards more intelligent p2p
content routing and distribution; stuff which'd play better
with their networks?
Or are you all busy being purely reactive?

Surely one ISP out there has to have investigated ways that
p2p could co-exist with their network..

I can imagine a middlebox that would interrupt multiple flows
of the same file, shut off all but one, and then masquerade
as the source of the other flows so that everyone still gets
their file.

If P2P protocols were more transparent, i.e. not port-hopping,
this kind of thing would be easier to implement.

This would make a good graduate research project, I would imagine.

--Michael Dillon