nanog mailing list archives

Re: Can P2P applications learn to play fair on networks?

From: Jim Popovitch <yahoo () jimpop com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:28:25 -0400

On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 22:45 -0400, Geo. wrote:
Second, the more people on your network running fileshare network software
and sharing, the less backbone bandwidth your users are going to use when
downloading from a fileshare network because those on your network are going
to supply full bandwidth to them.

Hmmmm... me wonders how you know this for fact?   Last time I took the
time to snoop a running torrent, I didn't get the the impression it was
pulling packets from the same country as I, let alone my network
neighbors.

-Jim P.