nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:16:16 -0500 (CDT)

In the Australian ISP's case (which is what started this) it's rather
worse.

The local telco monopoly bills between $30 and $50 per month for access
to the copper tail.

So there's essentially no such thing as a $19.99/month connection here
(except for short-lived "flash-in-the-pan" loss-leaders, and we all know
how they turn out)

So to run the numbers:  A customer who averages .25Mbit/sec on a tail acquired
from the incumbent requires --

   Port/line rental from the telco   ~ $50
   IP transit                        ~ $ 6 (your number)
   Transpacific backhaul             ~ $50 (I'm not making this up)

These look like great places for some improvement.

Like I said a few messages ago, as much as your marketplace derides
caps and quotas, I'm pretty sure that most of you would prefer to do
business with my constraints than with yours.

That's nice from *your* point of view, as an ISP, but from the end-user's
point of view, it discourages the development and deployment of the next
killer app, which is the point that I've been making.

... JG