nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:04:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007, Joe Greco wrote:

Technically the user can use the connection to it's maximum theoretical
speed as much as they like, however, if an ISP has a quota set at
12G/month, it just means that the cost is passed along to them when they
exceed it.

And that seems like a bit of the handwaving.  Where is it costing the ISP
more when the user exceeds 12G/month?

No, its that they've run the numbers and found the users above 12G/month
are using a significant fraction of their network capacity for whatever
values of signficant and fraction you define.

Of course, that's obvious.  The point here is that if your business is so
fragile that you can only deliver each broadband customer a dialup modem's
worth of bandwidth, something's wrong with your business.

... JG