nanog mailing list archives

Re: Interesting new dns failures

From: Will Hargrave <will () harg net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:20:35 +0100

Joe Provo wrote:

An obvious catalyst was commercialization of domains.  Which
interestingly enough leads us back to the lack of categories and
naming morass in which we live. I find it quite humourous that
new 'restrictive membership' branches of the tree are now being
proposed as a solution to the problem of identity (eg, .bank to
"solve" phishing).  Unless there will be some level of enforcement
teeth, we will see the same situtaion that played out in 94/95:

On a national level it's probably fairly easy to work this sort of thing
out. Lists of banks exist, as do lists of schools (.sch.uk is
prepopulated). The .ltd.uk and .plc.uk are only available to people with
the appropriate company form but aren't really that popular.

There's a larger issue of not just practicalities but is this in fact an
 appropriate use for DNS? DNS isn't a security mechanism.

Will