nanog mailing list archives

Re: San Francisco Power Outage

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 26 Jul 2007 01:41:52 +0000

jof () thejof com ("Jonathan Lassoff") writes:

Well, the fact still remains that operating a datacenter smack-dab in
the center of some of the most inflated real estate in recent history
is quite a castly endeavor.

yes.  (speaking for both 365 main, and 529 bryant.)

I really wouldn't be all that surprised if 365 Main cut some corners
here and there behind the scenes to save costs while saving face.

no expense was spared in the conversion of this tank turret factory into
a modern data center.  if there was a dark start option, MFN ordered it.
(but if it required maintainance, MFN's bankruptcy interrupted that, but
the current owner has never been bankrupt.)

As it is, they don't have remotely enough power to fill that facility
to capacity, and they've suffered some pretty nasty outages in the
recent past. I'm strongly considering the possibility of completely
moving out of there.

2mW/floor seemed like a lot at the time.  ~6kW/rack wasn't contemplated.

(is it time to build out the land adjacent to 200 paul, then?)
--
Paul Vixie