nanog mailing list archives

/48 for each and every endsite (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:24:16 +0100

Changing subject for these replies which will definitely be a bit on the
quite mean side... no offense but start reading for once. Next to that
there are also LIR courses which cover all of this.

(see other mail for /56 for end-user-sites, /48 for end-business-sites)

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
[..]> So, out of our /32, if we assign each customer a /48 we can only
support 65k customers.

Can I read from this that you never actually read any of the $RIR policy
documentation about getting IPv6 address space even though you did
request a /32 before, clearly without thinking about it?

So in order to support millions of customers, we need a
new allocation

"new" as in "We already have one, but we actually didn't really know
what we where requesting, now we need more"

 and I would really like for each new subnet allocated to
be very much larger so we in the forseeable future don't need to get a
newer one. So for larger ISPs with millions of customers, next step
after /32 should be /20 (or in that neighborhood). Does RIPE/ARIN
policy conform to this, so we don't end up with ISPs themselves having
tens of aggregates (we don't need to drive the default free FIB more
than what's really needed).

This explains quite a bit why people are looking so weird when certain
other organizations get a /20 and upward from $RIR.

My suggestion: start reading.

Other option is to have more restrictive assignments to end users and
therefore save on the /32, but that might be bad as well (long term).

That would be stupid and totally against the idea of IPv6.

Andy Davidson wrote:
[..]
From the RIPE perspective, there are seven "empty" /32s between my /32
and the next allocation.

I imagine this is fully intentional, and allows the NCC to grow my v6
address pool, without growing my footprint in the v6 routing table.

That is exactly what it is for. Then again, if you actually had
*PLANNED* your address space like you are supposed to when you make a
request you could have already calculated how much address space you
really needed and then justify it to the $RIR. In case you have to go
back to ask the $RIR for more you already made a mistake while doing the
initial request...

Greets,
 Jeroen