nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Neighbor maximum-prefix" option on routers

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:49:23 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Alexander Koch wrote:

On Mon, 20 November 2006 09:03:17 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
[..]
Having both max-prefix and route-map and prefix-list makes for good
engineering over time.

Ain't that a bit over- engineered? If you have a prefix list
(presumably to a customer) do you want to seriously shutdown
the session when he sends you random prefixes because it is
easy to break when you are new to it? Would create unneeded
tickets I'd say. Prefix lists (exact match) with no max-prefix
(as those are then rejected anyway) work fine here...

I believe max-prefix works after the prefix-list is applied (so it'll do max-prefix on the prefixes that is allowed by the prefix-list) but I haven't tried so I don't know for sure.

Anyone tried it and know for a fact what the behaviour is?

If it is the way I believe then I'd say that having a prefix list and setting max-prefix to 200 or so (for small customer) protects against someone accidentally borking up the prefix-list or route-map and protects your network in that case.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se