nanog mailing list archives

Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:27:35 -0800

--On March 2, 2006 3:15:59 PM +0100 Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch () muada com> wrote:

On 2-mrt-2006, at 14:49, Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:

Clearly, it would be extremely unwise for an ISP or
an enterprise to rely on shim6 for multihoming. Fortunately
they won't have to do this because the BGP multihoming
option will be available.

I guess you have a better crystal ball than I do.

One thing is very certain: today, a lot of people who have their own  PI
or even PA block with IPv4, don't qualify for one with IPv6. While  it's
certainly possible that the rules will be changed such that more  people
can get an IPv6 PI or PA block, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that  this will
become as easy as with IPv4.

Possibly, but, if that is true, then, to that extent, it will delay or
prevent the adoption of IPv6 by those people.

Ergo: some people who multihome with BGP in IPv4 today won't be able  to
do the same with IPv6. And if you manage to get a PI or PA block  you
will very likely find that deaggregating won't work nearly as  well with
IPv6 as it does with IPv4.

And why would those people consider migrating to IPv6?

So learn to love shim6 or help create something better. Complaining
isn't going to solve anything.

I'm trying to create something better.  I doubt many people in the
operational
community will ever learn to love shim6.

Owen