nanog mailing list archives

RE: key change for TCP-MD5

From: "Bora Akyol" <bora () broadcom com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:25:16 -0700

Another potential attack is an attempt to insert information
into a BGP session, such as to introduce bogus routes, or to
even become a "man in the middle" of a BGP session. One issue
that worries me about this is that if this allows routing to
be compromised, then I can figure out how to make money off
of this (and if I can think of it, someone even nastier will
probably also think of this). Of course this would be much
more difficult to pull off, and might require viewing packets
between routers to pull off, but if pulled off and not
quickly detected could be unfortunate.

Ross

This one is hard to pull off. I think the general conclusion
a couple years ago in the study that Sean Convery and Matt Franz
did was that it was less work to try to own the router or buy your
own AS ;)

Bora