nanog mailing list archives

Re: Economics of SPAM [Was: Micorsoft's Sender IDAuthentication......?]

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:32:31 +0200

Here's a simple mechanism which has not yet been tried
seriously. Email server peering. This means that an SMTP
server operator only accepts incoming mail from operators
with whom they have a bilateral email peering agreement.

This has been tried in the X.400 world. I wouldn't exactly say it
worked well - and I, for one, have no desire to return to X.400
style email peering.

Bilateral agreements have been shown to scale quite well
whether you look at BGP peering or the world of business
contracts. In any case, the fundamental need here is that
for somebody to notify the email administrator that is
sending spam and for that administrator to act immediately
to cut the flow.

The number of agreements needed in the email world is significantly
higher than what is needed for BGP.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no