nanog mailing list archives

Forwarding spam (was Re: AOL scomp)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:22:21 -0800

On 02/24/05, "Edward B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net> wrote:

I see the same thing.  At least 2/3rds are spam forwarded along as
described above.  I have to give some credit to AOL WRT handling that
type of situation -- they're much better than MSN/Hotmail who do not
have a whitelist or feedback loop and simply stop accepting mail for
12+ hours from any server that reaches a particular spam threshhold.

We now refuse to forward mail that's almost certainly spam.  Users may
POP it, but forwarding is out.

        Very good idea, given the lack of any standard way for a receiving
        ISP to know that the mail was forwarded.

--
J.D. Falk                                          uncertainty is only a virtue
<jdfalk () cybernothing org>                    when you don't know the answer yet