nanog mailing list archives

Re: Two Tiered Internet

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:48:36 +0000

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:39:51AM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:59:44AM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

Since the model is based around cash, there is no perception
except you pay, you get priority.

Someone has to pay for the Internet. The users aren't.

    hum... then what am i getting for my monthly 4000+
    bills from telcos and ISPs for "data services" and
    "internet transit" services?

You don't get priority. :-)

-M<

        but do i get "the Internet"?  ... your claim is that
        i am not paying for it.  my bills indicate that i -am-
        paying for it.  (regardless of priority... after all, the
        Internet is "best-effort" ... and w/ QoS, i don't get that
        anymore... i get the choice to buy crap instead of best effort...)
        Best effort is the top-tier of the QoS/priority pyramid... as
        sad as that is.

        and as others have cleverly pointed out, what i really
        am buying is full employment for the AP departments of
        telco/isps.  :)

--bill