nanog mailing list archives

RE: Two Tiered Internet

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:08:22 -1000

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Schliesser, Benson" <bensons () savvis net>
To: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme () multicasttech com>
Cc: "Per Heldal" <heldal () eml cc>, "NANOG" <nanog () merit edu>
Subject: RE: Two Tiered Internet
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:40:58 -0600

Hi.

I agree with your comments re customers. (residential
customers, in particular)

At risk of being flamed, what I'd propose is that
regulators should put effort into understanding whether
the basic service is broken. If it's not broken then

<flame :->

Regulators in what country?  Atlantis?  BFE?  Do you mean
the United States internet as opposed to the rest of the
world's internet???

</flame>

scott

perhaps it is reasonable to allow provider-prioritized
traffic. (i.e., if the provider offers a good SLA for
basic traffic and lives up to it even in the presence of
prioritized traffic) On the other hand, if the provider
doesn't guarantee a quality basic service then their
request to "prioritize" is in bad-faith; they will
effectively be de-prioritizing the basic service.

Cheers,
-Benson