nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:48:37 +0000 (UTC)

Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi> wrote:
[...]
If the nanog readership is a few thousands, that's only ~5-10k for
each of us. Piece of cake. And I still don't buy the number. I might
buy 2M.

If the nanog readership is a few thousands, I suspect most of the
readership is small fry looking after a small amount of address space.
For example, I'm pretty much lost on the radar given my purview is but
a pair of /19s. Not everybody can be a Tier 1 provider...

Even though my user base may not be considered the most well-behaved
netizens (IRCNet I-lines were probably invented for them) I suspect
that trying to find 5-10k rogue users in an address space covering
about 16,000 hosts may still be a tad optimistic.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse () mooli org uk for full key