nanog mailing list archives

Re: botted hosts

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:36:37 +0200

* Petri Helenius:

There are at least 20 million and probably more compromised computers on
the Internet.  Who has a plan to fix them?

If the nanog readership is a few thousands, that's only ~5-10k for each
of us. Piece of cake. And I still don't buy the number. I might buy 2M.

2M was a rather conservative estimate for Agobot/Phatbot infections
*alone* when it started to hit big.  The number of distinct IP
addresses per day at the load-test servers was surprisingly high and
matched the published estimates (which must have looked like
fearmongering to most operators back then).