nanog mailing list archives

RE: "Make love, not spam"....

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:27:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 11:00 AM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: "Make love, not spam"....

Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:
Already noted as unbelievably stupid and dissected on Spam-L,

I'm inclined to agree...

but: getting into a bandwidth contest with spammers is a guaranteed
loss, as they have an [essentially] infinite amount available to
them for free. Apparently Lycos is unaware of zombies (including
those hosting web sites), HTTP redirectors, rapidly-updating DNS,
throwaway domains, and other facts of life in the spam sewer.

... but this screensaver means that Lycos *also* have a botnet
available to them.

That means they are subject to the same sanctions as a botnet.

This isn't a new issue to the operator community. We have a
consistent opinion of this type of actvity going as far back as
Green Card Lawyers and Sanford Wallace/Cyberpromo.

The risks are too high for this to be anything but a publicity
stunt. I can't read any German other than "bier". Is the utility
up there? I'd love to take a look at it.

-M<