nanog mailing list archives

RE: no whois info ?

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:44:18 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 2:33 PM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: no whois info ?

At 01:50 PM 09/12/2004, Jeff Rosowski wrote:
shell1% whois vestigial3had.com
No match for "VESTIGIAL3HAD.COM".
What gives ?  How can there be no whois info anywhere ?

You can also make whois information private, usually for an
additional fee.

I wonder what % of domains that have their whois info hidden
or "private"
are throwaway spam domains...  Some number approaching 100% I would
bet.  It would be nice to somehow incorporate this into a
SpamAssassin
check somehow.

Perhaps 100% of spammers hide their registration data when possible,
but I wouldn't say that 100% of hidden registrations are spammers.

An RBL option of this type of data would probably mean forced
elimination of a benefit to the public - privacy.

-M<