nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unflattering comments about ISPs and DDOS

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 07 Dec 2004 02:00:10 +0000

    "Based on my conversations last week, Comcast's network engineers
    would like to be more aggressive. But the marketing department
    shot down a ban on port 25 because of its circa $58 million price ...

Thats quite ok, if theyre unwilling to filter port 25 on their end, we
are more than happy to filter port 25 on our end. Many have already done
this.

right, me too, but a surprising number of my friends strangely believe that
their ~1Mbit/sec home dsl connection (which 100millions of less-clued people
have) should be able to originate e-mail the same way their ~1Mbit/sec work
DS-1 line (which only a few million had, and most of those cluefully) did.

therefore, while i reject e-mail from dsl on a wholesale basis, i have to
whitelist certain friends on a retail basis -- which is madness without end.
far better for the cable and dsl providers to kill off outbound smtp by
default and then re-enable it when a customer waves the right clue-flag.

[off-topic: lots of you/us have proposed global whitelists to solve this kind
of thing, but nobody has yet figured out how a scalable community can have a
single definition of "that which is good"... so don't start that thread again
just because it seems desireable (which it is) and technically easy (also).]
--
Paul Vixie