nanog mailing list archives

Re: Site Finder

From: william+nanog () hq dreamhost com (Will Yardley)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:25:43 -0700

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:08:41PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

I've been thinking that there should be a new type of
record introduced to be application specific for HTTP, just as
MX only applies to smtp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically what SRV records
(rfc2782) are intended for. They're not widely impemented by client
applications, however.

This would allow anyone to add their own wildcard entries for their
own redirect services (eg: aol and microsoft could run their own on their
own nameservers) without impacting the alternate applications.

I think you'd still have the issue of an NXDOMAIN not being returned;
i.e., if there's a wildcard, you won't get an NXDOMAIN response if
there's no A but there is some other record.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."