nanog mailing list archives

Re: NOAA warning for rf communications

From: "Keptin Komrade Dr. BobWrench III esq." <bownes () web9 com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:49:27 -0400

Well, this is more than you really wanted to know, but....

        ELV     Exremely Low    dc - 3khz
        VLF     Very Low Freq   3khz - 30khz
        LF      Low Frequency   30khz - 300Khz
        MF      Medium          300Khz - 3Mhz
        HF      High            3mhz-30mhz
        VHF     Very High       30mhz-300mhz
        UHF     Ultra High      300-3Ghz
        SHF     Super High      3Ghz - 30 Ghz
        EHF     Extremely High  30Ghz - 300Ghz

Different folks put the breaks at slightly different places (the.g. the amatuer radio community puts the hf/vhf break @ 50Mhz and the MF/HF break @ 1.8Khz.

And, as a side note, I can't find the URL, but the US Cong is talking about pulling all the funding for the NASA space weather programs. Would mean less/no warning of this sort of stuff.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled off topic discussions

Komrade

Owen DeLong wrote:
This will not likely affect point-to-point line-of-site communications above 50Mhz. It will likely affect non-terrestrial communications and HF communications depending
on ionospheric reflection.

Owen