nanog mailing list archives

Re: NOAA warning for rf communications

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:22:04 -0400

At NASA at least, we referred to everything above 1 GHz as microwave. I have never heard SHF and EHF used in practice (and I worked at 8 GHz and above for years).

There are two basic dangers here

- the electrical grid acts as a big radio antenna and circuit breakers may trip.

- The maximum frequency at which the ionosphere reflects radio waves (the MUF -
http://www.hfradio.org/muf_basics.html )
will increase. Some things that depend on ionospheric reflection may act weird, there may be interference at higher frequencies which normally do not reflect, but now do, etc.

- it is also possible that dispersion (frequency depend phase changes) at higher
frequency could cut down on bandwidths of broadband systems.

The reflection frequency is almost never higher than 30 MHz anywhere on the planet, and the effects depend on the inverse frequency squared. I doubt that many of the bits moved by the readers of this list go at radio frequencies as low as 30 MHz. Even the cell phone and other bands starting about 700 Mhz are
unlikely to be affected.

Spacecraft may be effected, but this will be because they are bathed in increased radiation. There also may be some cool low latitude aurora.