nanog mailing list archives

RE: IRR/RADB and BGP

From: "Michael Hallgren" <m.hallgren () free fr>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:47:08 +0200

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Deepak Jain wrote:

I strongly approve of such requirement. I know that it is in
the peering
agreements of several carriers, but they often don't check or enforce
this. Many register customer routes and ASes. If routes and policies
were properly registered, securing the Internet would be a lot closer
to being possible.

Is it safe to assume (now) that all the routes one would care
to listen to
(under normal circumstances)
are registered in an IRR now? I remember there used to be
well-known issues
with some networks, especially internationally.

I dunno, there are plenty of smaller ASes who have yet to be forced to
register their routes.

Of some importance, yes, definitely, since at least some actors (including
Teleglobe, my home) tend to recurse on AS-set when building filters... so
unless registrered all the way down/up, filtered... which, by the way, is
a good moment/reason to help those "smaller ASes" go register (rather than
patching/proxying for them).

Cheers,

mh

We haven't yet been forced, but I finally got motivated to submit them to
altdb last night. Altdb definitely rocks.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.