nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS Path Loops in practice ?

From: Jeff Aitken <jaitken () aitken com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:41:19 -0500

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:07:03PM +0000, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something having not done this myself but why arent the
customers just using private ASNs? That would also remove the 'must default'
clause.

What if you have more customers than there are private ASNs?  Think
about things like 2547-style VPNs, etc.

What if you want to propogate those customers' BGP announcements to
the world?  Which hardware vendors support a "strip-private-ASN"
feature?  Did they always do so?

If every such customer uses a private ASN, every other default-free
customer must accept routes from the ISP that contain private ASNs in
the as-path.  Which of your default-free customers might be filtering
those prefixes?

It makes it a little more difficult for the ISP to filter prefixes
with private ASNs in the path; those from some customers must be
honored; those from other customers and from peers should be dropped.
The ones that were supposed to be honored should be passed along to
other BGP-speaking customers but not to peers.  This is obviously not
an insurmountable problem, but it does add a lot of config complexity.

Private-ASN collisions (i.e., when one customer uses one ASN to talk
to the ISP and another ASN internally which the provider assigns to
a different customer) will cause problems.

You WILL hear this from a customer: "I want to use ASN X for this
purpose because that's what my consultant said."

Repeat, but s/a customer/another customer/.

Etc.

--Jeff