nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sobigf + BGP

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:54:41 -0700

"Stephen J. Wilcox" wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, guy wrote:

"J. Oquendo" wrote:

'vuln'dev', and besides I wouldn't think that any
one here would do something malicious with any idea
that actually worked for the worse.

Stunning innocence. I had to read this statement at least four times to be
sure that I was not mistaken. Then I examined the headers, and I wonder if
you (J. Oquendo) are being a bit disengenous. You may be well-meaning, but
I cannot believe that anyone believes such a thing.

Assuming that everyone subscribed to the list has the best of intentions,
what about people that can scan the publicly accessible archives? Or even
the search engines that have nanog archives indexed? There's nothing wrong
with kicking ideas like this around with the intention of coming up with a
strategy on how to combat them, but perhaps a more discreet forum would be
appropriate?

We have seen that many people *posting* do not have the best of intentions;
I can assure you that there are lurkers on Nanog (surprise, surprise) who
are not nearly as naive and well-intentioned as J. O. would hope. In fact,
I know that there are subscribers from various print media, various on-line
media, and certainly some stunningly unpleasant characters that I run into
on other lists.

There is no such thing as a discreet forum. If you mean by that, a few
people exchanging emails, then surely that is not a forum, not being
public. If it is publically accessible, and you aren't sure of precisely
every member that's on it, then it's NOT discreet. It may be obscure, but I
know plenty people who specialize in the obscure.

There are a lot more people subscribed to the list than you actually see
posting, I'm sure many of them are representatives of the l33t h4x0r community..

Those are hardly the persons you need worry about. There *is* no hacker
community. There may be pockets here and there, with people of varying
skills, and purposes, but there is no community.

On the other hand, this is almost certainly not a topic for Nanog, even if
the word BGP does appear in the original post.
--
In April 1951, Galaxy published C.M. Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons".
The intervening years have proven Kornbluth right.