nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint VS. Qwest

From: dgold <dgold () FDFNet Net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:07:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, dgold wrote:

What possible reason would the average small transit buyer have for
knowing the details of a carrier's peering arrangements - especially
carriers like Sprint and Qwest?

Are you suggesting that small providers care less about who they purchase their
Internet connectivity from? Hmm.

Of course I didn't say that. I did say that smaller transit customers
have, or should have, a set of criteria where their upstream's peering
arrangements are not at the top of the list. Customer support, speed of
provisioning, and feature-set all tend to be more important for the
smaller transit buyer. Peering congestion may be an issue - however, sizes
and locations of peering interconnects are not, unless you have enough
traffic to potentially overwhelm one.

[snip]

Steve

That is an actual performance metric, and could tend to seperate some
providers from others, and reward those who keep their peering connections
properly sized. Perhaps this is what you mean by "better" peering?
Locations and sizes won't help you at all, if this is what you are looking
for.

I suppose the question is, what is your goal? If you are looking for
transit, there are numerous criteria -

- price
- customer service
- clueful engineer accessability
- network stability
- network "reach" - i.e. do they have a POP where you want to
interconnect?
- Packetloss and latency metrics
- Special features - rich community set, multicast, etc

- Dan