nanog mailing list archives

RE: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

From: "W.D.McKinney" <deem () wdm com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:09:49 -0900 (AKST)

Did you *really* get the gist of my post ? I own a communications company
that oversells capacity. I have bought transit for most every employer I have
worked for in the past as well, and I have worked for more than one flavour of LEC/ISP.
Not a good discussion if you live an a different planet though :-)
(Yes Stephen, I have Cisco in it also.)

/Dee

"Sameer R. Manek" <manek () ecst csuchico edu> wrote:
What planet have you been employed on? Almost every communications company
oversells capacity, to do otherwise would suggest they are selling the
service at a loss.

When you buy unlimited dialup, they don't put aside a modem with your
name-tag on it. They let you compete again all the other uses who use that
POP. The ISP knows that only X% of their users will be dialing in at any
given time, so they only have to have capacity for N+1 users.

When you buy transit from a provider, they almost always have a committed
information rate clause, which is usually significantly less then the
capacity of the line you are buying from them. There is a reason why
dedicated dialup costs more then service that is sold as "unlimited". Your
business model has to account that a some users will use more then you
expected them to, but most will use the expected amount, even though you
sold them more then they needed.

Even the phone company does this that's why there is a "fast busy" or the
recording of the nice lady who informs you "all circuits are currently
busy".