nanog mailing list archives

Re: traffic filtering

From: John Kristoff <jtk () depaul edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:10:58 -0600

Stephen Griffin wrote:
I'm curious about how many networks completely filter all traffic to
any ip address ending in either ".0" or ".255".

I've only heard of one other institution doing this.

I'm curious because any network /0-/23,/31,/32 can legitimately have
ip addresses in-use which end as such. /32's can obviously have (most) any ip
address, since there is no notion of a network or broadcast address. /31
doesn't have a directed broadcast. For /0-/23 only the first ".0" and the
last ".255" correspond to reserved addresses. All of the intervening
addresses are legal.

Right.  That is exactly why this is generally at least a silly, if not
bad idea.

Is this type of filtering common? What alternate solutions are available

I don't think it is very common.  I'd be curious to hear otherwise.

to mitigate (I'm assuming) concerns about smurf amplifiers, that still
allow traffic to/from legitimate addresses. What rationale is used to

Devices that forward (routers) should provide mechanisms to disable the
forwarding of directed broadcasts.  See the following RFC:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2644.txt

filter all traffic to network/broadcast addresses of /24 networks while
ignoring network/broadcast of /25-/30? For that matter, what percentage
of smurf amplifiers land on /24 boundaries?

Rationale?  Perhaps sites that only use /24 in their route tables have
that rationale?  Otherwise its probably due to a misunderstanding of IP
addressing.

John