nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable & Wireless "de-peering"?!?

From: Peter van Dijk <peter () dataloss nl>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:55:29 +0200

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:45:13PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
[snip]

 Unet is, for example, one of the few (if not the only) ISP in The
Netherlands that charges for *peering* (no, not transit, just peering).

I stand corrected on this bit. UUnet just has quite strong peering
requirements. Anybody wanting to exchange traffic with UUnet while
being unable to comply must become a customer, therefore.

More and more clued people I know are avoiding UUnet because they
don't peer with the small but quickly growing ISPs. Most UUnet
customers are getting worse and worse connectivity as other ISPs stop
peering with UUnet, because UUnet is becoming less and less important.
A nice downward spiral.

I do still think UUnet is in a downward spiral, just like C&W. Strong
peering policies are not good for the Internet.

Greetz, Peter.