nanog mailing list archives

Re: Inter-provider communications (Re: nobody @home)

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:45:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Douglas A. Dever wrote:

IMHO, Government involvement in anything = bad.

In general, I agree with you.

How, exactly, do you
expect "Congresscritters" to force competitors to play nicely with each
other?

The only way we can force big companies to do $X is to make it
economically impractical for them _not_ to do $X. If I tell Worldcom that
if they don't fix the DDOS attack directed at my network, they owe me
$500K, they'll laugh at me :)

I find the idea of government regulation very distasteful, but if there
ARE attacks occurring out there on the big bad Internet that can be
stopped, and the providers aren't stopping them, are we just supposed to
act like they're not happening?

--
Steve Sobol, BOFH, President    888.480.4NET 866.DSL.EXPRESS 216.619.2NET
North Shore Technologies Corporation   http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net