nanog mailing list archives

Re: Inter-provider communications (Re: nobody @home)

From: "Douglas A. Dever" <dever () hq oh verio net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:37:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Steve Sobol wrote:

Another thought - I don't advocate lots of government involvement in the
Internet arena, but perhaps it's time that our Congresscritters demanded
that these big companies talk to each other. Those big guys want us to think
that Internet transit is as reliable as dialtone.[0] It won't be as long as
they continue to make it difficult to stop attacks...

IMHO, Government involvement in anything = bad.  How, exactly, do you
expect "Congresscritters" to force competitors to play nicely with each
other?  Internet access is not a public utility.  Let's not invivte the
regulators and legislators to start kicking around in the sandbox anymore
than they are already trying to.

--
Douglas A. Dever    dever () verio net
Network Engineering Manager