nanog mailing list archives

RE: multi-homing fixes

From: jmalcolm () uraeus com
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:39:34 +0000 (UTC)

Roeland Meyer writes:
I've read that and largely agree. The hardware approach was only meant to
buy time, while the geniuses at the IETF find a better approach. What I
don't agree on, and am amazed to see, the admission that they don't know at
what point the convergeince problem becomes intractible. Or even, if it
does... that sounds more like a fundimental lack of understanding of the
algorithm itself.

This is not a particularly tractable problem. In my experience, large
distributed systems usually give little to no warning before they melt
down, and once they do, it's not necessarily obvious how you get them
back to a stable state.