nanog mailing list archives

Re: multi-homing fixes

From: Rafi Sadowsky <rafi-nanog () meron openu ac il>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:20:53 +0300 (IDT)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:

Why not just configure 25 secondary IPs on a single box?

 Because /19 is 8K IP addresses ?
Using something like Labrea[1] you could get at least a /24 per box
25 boxes should give you roughly 80% of a /19

 Of course I don't recommend tricking anyone except "Code Red" type
attacks(or any kind of port scanner) this way
(In particular _not_ an Internet Registry )

-       Rafi

[1] Labrea - <http://www.threenorth.com/LaBrea/>

-C

Avoid *any* technology that makes more efficient use of my address space.
Then I'd generate additional redundant services (legitimate and opertional,
just not used much) to fatten up the foot-print. About 25 Linux boxen,
implemented on BookPCs, ought to do the trick for a /19. Personally, I have
yet to be pushed to such a solution, but I've thought about it and I'm not
the only one. If the rules are set such that I have to do something like
that, or fold the company, I would do it in a heart-beat. There is a limit
to what I will sacrifice on the alter of "community spirit".