nanog mailing list archives

Re: surge in spam email (fwd)

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:35:48 -0400

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 06:57:04PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

These issues, along with the fact that a significant portion of spammers
are already off-shore, especially for us Canadians, are why I think a
technical solution is the only real solution that'll ever stand a chance
of success in the long run.

Technical solutions can't solve behavioral problems in the long run, only ever
in the short run.

That's true 99% of the time, and I have not seen any compelling reason to believe
this is different.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

oddly enough fixing most open relays is actually cheaper (and some might
even argue easier!) than installing an old broom handle in your patio
doors!  ;-)

You admit "most", but quietly gloss over what happens with the rest.