nanog mailing list archives

Re: surge in spam email (fwd)

From: "Derek J. Balling" <dredd () megacity org>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:17:15 -0700

At 3:46 PM -0400 8/9/00, Barry Shein wrote:

We need laws,...

<snip>

I dunno,... using your list as a guide, I don't find a lot that US legislators can do... last I heard, .au, .pl, .de, .pt, .uk, .sg, .tw, .fr, .nz, and .es are all outside of the "long arm o' the law". I didn't take the time to see how many of the [IP] and .(com|net|org) entries were actually in the US or were themselves foreign, but the top 6 entries in your list would "laugh at those silly American laws". That puts the majority of spam out of the reach of the law, making the law a useless waste of time. This is definitely an area that self-governance (ORBS, MAPS, et al, choose YOUR personal favorite... "let's not argue over who killed who") is best.

 119 entoo.connect.com.au
 112 mailsite.dmn.com.au
  64 root () www awf poznan pl
  56 www.nehls.de