nanog mailing list archives

Re: surge in spam email (fwd)

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () mail-abuse org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:14:07 -0700

On 08/10/00, "Greg A. Woods" <woods () weird com> wrote:

These issues, along with the fact that a significant portion of spammers
are already off-shore, especially for us Canadians, are why I think a
technical solution is the only real solution that'll ever stand a chance
of success in the long run.

        How many years have we been attempting technical solutions?
        Five, six?

        I work for MAPS.  The RBL and things like it are probably the
        most effective tools we've got for stopping spammers (note I
        don't say "stopping spam" -- there are other ways to refuse
        the largest number of messages, but we want to stop SPAMMERS.)

        These may look like technical tools, but in truth, boycotts
        are social -- as they have to be, because spam is, and has
        always been, a SOCIAL problem.

        I was about to rant a whole lot more on this subject, but then
        I remembered that NANOG is about technical issues, so it'd be
        out of place.  If anybody's curious, please e-mail me off list.

--
J.D. Falk                                             "Laughter is the sound
Product Manager                          that knowledge makes when it's born."