nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: Dan Watts <dwatts () vitts com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 15:15:07 -0500

At 10:49 AM 11/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
I have to agree with Kim. That's why I shuddered when I thought of
every single static IP address at every ISP being SWIP'd. It would increase
ARIN's database exponentially and is not necessary.

And don't forget that you have to come up with a unique network name
for the SWIP'd IP, every time you change the assignment.

The answer, of course, is rwhois since that lets you go to whatever level
of detail you want, and use your own resources to do so.  However, using
rwhois is easy to talk about but...

Agreed.  I think one thing that slows acceptance of rwhois is the lack
of client tools used to query the databases.  Most [all?] of the rwhois
clients don't support referral information, so getting complete information
on a query is difficult.

When you have to justify all your allocations, it is convenient if you can
have all the allocations SWIPed and not have to worry about different
recording and procedures for different sized blocks.  You can get over
that hurdle though, and once you are it isn't that difficult to deal with.

I found using rwhois was a lot easier to use than SWIP. I should admit
though that my experience predates the online forms.  I also found that
keeping the information up to date with rwhois is very easy [we just
change our database, re-export to the rwhois server, and we're done]
and we don't have to wait for the SWIP submittal turnaround time.

Dan

--
Dan Watts
Vitts Networks