nanog mailing list archives

Re: flat vs non-flat charging

From: Richard Irving <rirving () onecall net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:23:11 -0500

Jerry Scharf wrote:

I think the idea of distance charging is going away in many cases. With WDM,
the cost of the WDM and SONET eqiupment on the ends of a fully populated 32
channel per fiber, 144 strand pull vastly outweight end-to-end fiber costs of
anything pulled through the ground.

Not true, long haul fiber *way* outways the initial ADM
investment over
about 1 years time frame, just not up-front. Remember: Dark
fiber is
a monthly re-occuring.....

When you add routers and the like on top
of that, the distance issue really goes away and it becomes on of network
topology hops.

  Only for small ISP's. This is not even *slightly* true of
transcontinental
runs. Reality check, it costs me *way* more to put up long
haul, than it does
local.  Something needs to account for this....

But, what?

Can anyone with figures for new intercontinental pulls say
whether this is true there as well (project oxygen marketing claims this,
but...)?

Using archaic telephone pricing models to argue cost of providing bulk IP
services is just not right.

  Some of us see it as: We are overcharging customers who
don't use their
service much, to offset  *not billing* enough for those who
do....
I don't call that archaic. But, I also don't think it is
going to change
anytime soon....

Richard

jerry