nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for improved identD

From: Ehud Gavron <GAVRON () ACES COM>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:24:16 -0700 (MST)

There isn't necessarily just a single user on the other end of a PPP
connection.

        Perhaps I should have phrased it as "single user network
        connection" and not "PPP".  I'm less concerned with the
        PPP as a protocol than as its modern usage to connect the
        dialup user.

Many things will break if the actual user and the user
that PPP intercepted identd asserts do not match.

        Oh?

Providing such information may be a violation of confidentiality if

        Login string.  e.g. username.

Because the PPP access device cannot know, unless it also tracks all the
traffic involved, what ports are in fact in use, it would have to give

        If l2 is up, it's up.  That's fairly basic...

I believe you misunderstand the purpose of identd.  It was intended to
        Nope...

Why do you want this data?

        My personal crusade against packet monkeys, spammers, and
        irresponsible admins who support them by pretending that
        the net is free for all to abuse.