nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reporting Little Blue Men

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () eponymous priori net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:25:05 -0800

From: Dean Anderson <dean () av8 com>

But when you take the step from advocacy to actions you are violating the
law in almost every case.  You can advocate anything, but you can't go
tearing down buildings, or in this case, intercepting communications.

I cannot block mail espousing causes I disagree with, but I have no
obligation to deliver them either. Find yourself another path to my
client; I won't do anything to permit or prevent it. I am not blocking you.
I am also not assisting you. That is neither illegal nor immoral.

I agree with almost everything you said, but there is one point I question.
 It is my understanding that I have an absolute right to block mail
espousing causes I disagree with on my private property (e.g. my mail
server).  I am not the government, you have no "First Amendment" rights
with me.  Of course, IANAL, so I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I also agree that reading the CONTENT of users' e-mail is
immoral and reprehensible, so I don't know how I would block "causes" I
despise.  And whether it is illegal or not, it is probably actionable in
civil court, so it's not a good idea no matter what.  (Seems you can sue
anyone for anything in the US.)

SPAM yourself silly.

That's cute.  Can I use it? ;)

dennis

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations                    fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
         "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."