nanog mailing list archives

Re: FDDI or 100Mb Ethernet

From: Paul Ferguson <ferguson () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 16:51:11 -0500

Okay. Playing my usual devil's advocate role, please tell me what
migration path lies beyond FDDI for faster connectivity?

- paul

At 04:17 PM 2/6/98 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:

For desktops, I agree completely that fast ethernet is the way to go.  Fast
ether hubs are cheaper and easier to wire than cddi hubs (no cross over
cables required).

For a backbone, though, I would point out that FDDI is a token ring
protocol, so performance is always predictable. Ethernet, and fast ethernet
have performance knees.  (Actually, I'm assuming Fast Ethernet will have a
knee at around 70% utilization. I haven't tested that it really does).
Also, both Fiber and Copper can be implemented with dual attached rings
which might be an advantage for a backbone link.