nanog mailing list archives

Re: FDDI or 100Mb Ethernet

From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () geo net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:32:40 -0800

At 04:42 PM 2/5/98 , Charles Sprickman wrote:

We have a choice of FDDI or 100Mb ethernet.  I'm thinking FDDI is better,
and not too much more expensive for our side.  Are there any negatives
with FDDI?  How does the 4000(?) Byte MTU affect things?  All of our
outgoing links, T1 and ether are all 1500.  Does the work of fragmenting
the packets down to 1500 amount to anything?

There is work on creating "jumbo" frames for GbE which would take away the
1500 "cell" limit.

All this talk about MTUs has got me wondering.

Why on earth are you paying attention to that thread??

--Kent