nanog mailing list archives

RE: Spam Control Considered Harmful

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy () wserv com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:43:43 -0500

On Tuesday, October 28, 1997 11:27 AM, Alex Bligh [SMTP:amb () gxn net] wrote:
The Moral Majority and The Promise Keepers and other fundamentalist groups
sit on white horses waiting to ride in and save us from ourselves.  What is
being said below needs to be considered.  Firstly, Paul mentioned the need
to have strong checks and balances.  What does that mean and how do we keep
him honest and ensure "we are using our powers for good"?

I personally do spam filtering for our site. Actually, it's not "spam"
filtering per se. If you don't have a domain in the from addr which resolves,
your mail is rejected. If you are not a customer of ours and try to relay mail
off our servers, your mail is rejected.

This to me seems completely just. Why should you send mail with a false return
to address and why if you are not my customer should you send mail?

Now, filtering based on hostname & blackholing is a bit extreme. It limits the
user's right to choose. As long as the commercial soliciter has a valid
reply-to address which you can use to bitch and complain, then I feel it's
fine.

However, I believe repeated unsolicited commercial email is harassment. For the
same reason you can't call a person on the phone in the US 4 or 5 times
unsolicited (it's against the law last I checked). It's wasting my time. On the
Internet, it's wasting my bandwidth and resources.

Does anyone have any stats on what percentage of networks is spam? I figure
probably around 5%.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy/