nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 02:19:46 -0500 (EST)

[ On Thu, October 30, 1997 at 14:54:50 (-0800), Justin W. Newton wrote: ]
Subject: Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

I would like to point out, after much thought and discussion, I believe
that completely blocking outgoing SMTP to be a bad idea.  Here's the
reasoning.

I may be foo.com, a mail hosting service.  My customers send and receive
mail via me, but do not connect via me.  I set up a system whereby only my
users can send mail via me (magic elves or something, thats not important).
 In this instance, it makes sense to allow your users to send mail via me,
if they are also my users.

In that case you'll have to establish relationships that transfer the
responsibility for managing and controlling the users from the
connectivity ISP to you, the e-mail service provider.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>