nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Big Squeeze

From: Jim Jagielski <jim () jaguNET com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 11:33:50 -0500 (EST)

Paul Ferguson wrote:

At 10:48 AM 3/2/97 -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:

It's the renumbering part that I think gives people the most
heartburn... By the time you get "big enough" to warrent your
own block, you've got at least 32 ClassCs of which, I'm betting,
at least 28 are "given" to LAN-connected customers. This is
a _major_ headache not only for the ISP to go thru but also a
major headache to force your customers to go thru. That is, what
I think, is what really is most painful; that by the time you
are big enough to have your own block, you're too big to want
to renumber: Catch 22

Que sera, sera. Renumbering is a fact of life.

See: RFC1900, RFC2008, RFC2071.

Never said it wasn't a fact a life, just that it's a painful
one... And a disruptive one. Imagine the heartburn if a group with
simply one ClassB was required to totally renumber to another...

--
     jim () jaguNET com           |       http://www.jaguNET.com/
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"