nanog mailing list archives

Re: SONET Interconnect (was RE: MCI)

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 01:21:56 -0500

At 01:12 AM 3/29/96 -0500, Shikhar Bajaj wrote:

What you fail to mention, however, is that in an effort to achieve
these noble goals across the Internet, you are relegated to using IP
over ATM. This is the fatal flaw.

Yes, I admit my guilt.  Our clients are looking at solutions in
parallel with the Internet.  They feel that sole reliance on the
Internet will not cut it.

Sorry. I remain unconvinced.

That's fine.  I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone :).

No -- I didn't mean to appear sanctimonious or self-righteous. This just
happens to be one of my pet rants.

If folks want ATM services, running then adjacent to the Internet is
a foolish thing to do. Parallel to the Internet fabric is certainly
doable.

- paul

Shikhar