nanog mailing list archives

Re: Customer AS

From: Henry Kilmer <hank () rem com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

Vadim Antonov writes:
In my (rather extensive) practice, multihoming by itself is
usually a major source of connectivity problems.

Agreed.

Whoever arguing _for_ mulihoming for everyone forgets that
taking more routing information in has dangers not present
when you don't do routing yourself.

I never saw any customer who had the ability to configure a
multihomed site properly on their own; and most of the bogus
routing information comes from multihomed customer sites.

It is _much_ better to multihome to the same provider who then
can take care of messy global routing.

Agreed.

The arguement here (if there is one) is that their is a demand in the
marketplace for multihoming to different providers and what is the
best way to treat these customers.  Sprint's filtering is a good
arguement for having multiple Sprint connections or non at all.  The
customer that is multihomed to Sprint and a different provider,
however, is still paying Sprint to move their bits around even if
their Sprint connection goes down.

I support all incentives to reduce the number of multihomed customers.

--vadim

PS  A UPS for CPE usually fixes 95% of transmission problems.
   I've seen people willing to spend money on multihoming but doing
   things on commercial power.

And not plugging their routers into outlets on light switches would
also help.

-Hank